Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The haps


Yesterday around 5pm I returned home from a long weekend away. Friday morning at 5am I got myself up and out the door as my Washington friends picked me up for a weekend at Malibu Club. Malibu Club is a Young Life camp located in Canada and is a 3 hour boat ride from the NE side of the Sunshine Coast. Young Life was a big part of my life in High School and I was priviledged to go to Malibu for a week as a camper back in 1999 and I got to go again and be on Work Crew there for a month in 2000. I had not been back since and when a couple of my old work crew friends invited me, I jumped at the chance. It was Memorial Day weekend in the States so the Young Life of Seattle thought it a good time to have a Discipleship Weekend for the High Schoolers in their area. Me and my friends (along with about 47 other college agers) volunteered our time to serve on the work crew for the weekend. I wish I could say that I had the most amazing time, but the truth is that I was sick for it all. I got sick about 2 days before the trip and assumed I would just get better as time passed. The case was that I got worse. And when you are at a camp on a island, you can't really go get medicine from the doc to make you better. Oh well. I put on my best face and served the best I could. For the weekend my job, along with my friends and a few other girls, was to be in the Linen Nook. This meant that we did all the laundry, cleaned all the bathrooms and even got to go and dig the dirt out of the cracks in the boards that make up the walkways. All for the Lord. I am now a master at folding fitted sheets! It's quite a skill to have. Jealous? Though it was not quite the trip I expected, it was pretty awesome to be in, what I think is, the most beautiful place on earth basking in God's beauty. You are surrounded by huge mountains, ocean, blue skies and by people who love Jesus. I have not felt that close to the Lord in some time and that made all the travelling and being sick well worth it.

P.S. Check out my picture blog here, it's updated!!

1 comment:

Derek Brown said...

It is wonderful to have you home too!