Saturday, April 16, 2005

Give

I have been reading a book called “Blue Like Jazz” by Donald Miller. Don writes about his thoughts on Christian Spirituality and his life experiences with that. This has been a book that I have enjoyed reading. It’s a great book to pick up as you climb into bed. Not something that has really broken down any walls, but definitely a book that makes you think about life a little bit. I sat down this morning with my cup of coffee to relax and read a chapter or two; I opened the book and the next chapter was entitled none other than “Money”. I struggle with money because I don’t have much of it and I am very protective of the amount I do have. Here I thought Don would probably talk about money is dumb and that living in this world, money is just something we all have to deal with. By no means did it cross my mind that he might talk about tithing. In the Bible it tells us that we are to give 10% of our income to God. This is tithing. I have always known this but have never actually done it. I have given a few dollars here and there to whatever church I was attending at the time but I have never given 10%. I always thought this would be something I would do when I was “grown-up” and making much more money. After all, giving 10% every month would leave me with even less money than I have now. Needless to say, I was convicted by this chapter and I admit that I felt/feel guilty.

When Derek and I got married we decided that we would tithe by supporting a child through Compassion International. While this has been great and we love doing it, it is not 10% of our income. If we made $280 a month, it would be, but luckily we make a tad bit more than that. Here is my dilemma in all of this. Though Derek and I attend a church, we are not actually members of this church. So is this who we would give our 10% to? Or would we give it to a charity? Support more children through Compassion? Or does it really matter who or how we give it? Is the important thing just to give? Though I admit that giving 10% will be hard, I think part of the problem has been that I have never actually been a member of a church and therefore have not felt compelled to give them my money. Is that awful? So I want to think about all of this and I hope to come to a conclusion and hope to be more faithful in my relationship with the Lord. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

2 comments:

Jacque said...

Points To Ponder- Where your money is there will your hearts be also. Do you plan to become a member? Why or Why not? God honors the heart and you are a good listener. The best answer for you will come from you.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I tend to feel the same as you. I give to Compassion monthly and sometimes give to Calvary, but it becomes very difficult to give on a bi-monthly 10% basis. I do however feel compelled to give when I come into extra money or just when I know that it's the right thing to do.

It is a fine line and something that is often hard to figure out. I know for myself that I would much rather give when I can and feel the spirit is leading me, then to just give 10% b/c it's something I should do. Much like going to church, if you are just doing it for the motions and there is no heart, what are you learning?