Monday, August 15, 2005

Mexican food in Vancouver?

side note: I have decided to change my font back to "normal size" instead of "large size" (sorry Grace) but it's just so big!
I swear there are like 3, maybe 4 mexican restaurants in Vancouver. It is a rarity indeed. However, you can walk down any given street and see about 100 sushi restaurants. Now, if you are into sushi, that's great for you! As for me, I would rather have myself a big burrito...mmmm! The other night Derek and I decided we would splurge and go out to dinner (another rarity). We were both craving mexican food. We looked up the 4 existing local restaurants and decided we would drive by them and see where we wanted to go. We found this great one called Las Margaritas on West 4th. It looked fun, it was packed and the appearance of it was pleasing to the eye. We parked a few blockes away then walked up and decided to check out the menu that was posted outside the door. Our hope was quickly shot when we saw that it ws around $15 a plate. Then you add drinks and tip and tax...you're looking at $45 bucks, at least. That was a no go. We decided instead that we would just walk down 4th and see what else there was. Alas, another mexican place..and it's upstairs..and it had a special going on that night for like $9 a plate. We were in! It was not quite the mexican food experience we had hoped for. Let me set the scene, we walked in, there were 2 employees and about 2 of the tables were full. The place looked old and Sex in the City was on the TV (hmmm?). We decided to give it a try. We ordered drinks (i think my Pina Colada type drink had been sitting in the fridge for a few hours) then we got our food. It was okay, but I could have done way better making it at home. Needless to say, I was kind of disappointed. Our big night out to dinner was a flop. However, the company was pretty good, so I guess I can't complain ;)
If you ever come to Vancouver...go for Sushi...apparently it's pretty good here.

No comments: