Thursday, January 03, 2008

Motivated

Before I begin this blog post I have to tell you that I am currently sitting at work and looking out the window where amazingly beautiful snow is falling from the sky. I just ran outside so I could feel it hit my face. It's gorgeous!

Anyway...

Christmas and New Years has come and gone, my much anticipated 2 week break from work is over and I am now back to normal life. I guess it's good to have routine and to stay motivated in that way, but breaks or vacations never seem long enough and even though I had several days with nothing to do, I didn't seem to accomplish all that I wanted to. Having no plan or no schedule makes me (makes us humans?) lazy.

Last night as I anticipated coming back to work I laid wide awake, for what seemed like hours, unable to fall into a deep slumber. I thought back over the break and my lack of motivation to get anything done and started to think about how on earth people stay disciplined and motivated to do things. Then I wondered how much 'self-motivation' plays into it all or if it more comes from outside pressure/encouragement/obligation. Would I actually be able to get up at 6.30am if I didn't HAVE to go to work? Think of professional athletes, would they be where they are, as fit as they are and as good as they are all alone? Or is it really thanks to their coaches and trainers?

I often think that if I didn't have to work and could spend my days exactly how I wanted to, that I would be happy and in shape and have the time to do everything and anything I wanted. I wonder how true this is. Would I actually get up early and go jogging? eat healthier? volunteer at a children's hospital? make cards? spend time making fancy dinners before Derek gets home? teach myself a foreign language? I would like to think so but the reality of it is that it probably wouldn't happen. Some days, yes, but not every day as I would like it to. That is unless I had someone there with me, pushing me to get up and go running with them, sitting with me and learning that foreign language together. Then, even if I didn't feel like it, I would still do those things. I think that is the key. Though I would love to be more 'self-motivated', I wonder how much it actually plays into my (our?) life.

Something to think about at least. Maybe thinking these thoughts will encourage me to get up off my bum and do more! We'll see...

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Here here! I agree!! I had very similar thoughts over my holidays since I was not in the slightest bit productive and blamed it on my lack of self-motivation. Hmm...great thoughts, friend, and a great start to a good conversation.

I am missing you and how much you motivated and encouraged me to get out there and do things I wouldn't do on my own.

I vote - keep this blog a runnin'! I love hearing Katie-thoughts and feel encouraged and blessed by YOU when you're just being YOU.

:) Shell

lucashannon said...

I had almost given up on this blog and removed it from my NetVibes but I am glad to see you are alive and kicking! :) I agree with Shelley...I loving hearing Katie thoughts. :) Miss you...