Thursday, January 17, 2008

Metro

The Metro is a free newspaper distributed throughout the UK Monday-Friday. Metro offers the most up to date news, sports, gossip and more. It has become my daily routine to read this paper on the bus on my way to work. Every morning I walk from my house about 10-15 minutes to catch the bus. On my walk to the bus I pass by a wee booth that is set up on the corner of Princes Street and Queensferry Road, where a guy sits and hands out the Metro newspaper. In stride I walk past the booth, grab the paper, say 'cheers' or 'thanks' and continue on my way.

Lately I have started to wonder if this guy realizes that I walk by at the same time every single day. Does he anticipate that I will be stopping by or am I a just another passerby? I also can't help but think what a boring job he has. He sits in a rinky dink little booth with no heat, no electricity and his sole purpose is to give this paper to as many people as he can. I wonder for how many hours does he sit there and I really wonder if it is the same guy every day. I think I have deduced that there are 2 guys who do this job 5 days a week, or maybe they work half a day each...hmmm. This week, the city has been doing work on and, I think, replacing the sidewalk where the Metro guy usually sits in his cozy hut. Therefore he has had to stand out on the corner with his big stack of papers and pass them out. I can't help but feel bad for him. Although, for all I know he could be making some £30,000 a year just to hand out free papers.

The Metro has truly become part of my every day life. I start many sentences with 'I read in the Metro...' and feel proud when I know news before Derek has read it online. My friend, Trudy, is an avid reader of Metro and it brings about good conversation. It is interesting to read about the latest trend or the latest statistic on Global Warming, drinking while pregnant, or Harry Potter.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I love this little glimpse into a day in the life of Katie! I bet the Metro guy recognizes you and sees all kinds of patterns in the day from his little hut.

lucashannon said...

We have the Metro too...I used to read it everyday on the way to work. I noticed that in downtown Vancouver the guys only hand it out until about 11:00 and then they're gone by lunch and then back when people leave for work...random thoughts (I know). :) My sister also gets the Metro in Boston...it's everywhere! :)

Trudy said...

I love the metro.....Mike is so sad when he goes in early and the metro hasn't come for some reason. We get ours on the bus and sometimes it's just not there. He likes to read it while his computer is setting up....it's just not a good day...unless it's a metro day. Love you, girl!